Leaner than beef, these Delicious Homemade Turkish Meatballs Recipe (Kofta Recipe) are healthy, packed with flavor, and incredibly moist on the inside.
A combination of fresh and dried herbs gives these meatballs an Italian flare while also providing a balance of flavors.
I served my Turkish Meatballs with a dollop of Tahini Yogurt Sauce, but you can serve them with, pretty much, any starch you like: Mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, quinoa, etc.
How To Make Delicious Homemade Turkish Meatballs Recipe (Kofta Recipe) With Step By Step Instructions:
- Ground Beef (2 pounds)
- Breadcrumbs (1/2 cup)
- Onion (2 medium-sizes), finely chopped or purred
- Garlic (4 cloves), mashed
- Salt (1/2 tsp)
- Black Pepper (1 tsp)
- Red Pepper Flakes (1 tsp)
- Cumin (1 tsp)
- Dried Thyme (1 tsp)
- Chili Powder (1 tsp)
- Water (1/4 cup)
- Baking Soda (1 tsp)
- Lemon Juice (1 tsp)
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, finely diced onion, and mashed garlic.
- Add in the spices.
- In a small bowl, mix baking soda, water, and lemon juice.
- Pour this into the ground beef mixture.
- Mix well with your hand.
- Knead it for about a minute so that everything is combined well.
- Cover and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight or at least 2-3 hours.
- Roll them into meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a cast-iron pan or any non-stick pan.
- Cook the meatballs over high heat, flipping them over or shaking the pan occasionally so that all sides are cooked for about 3 minutes.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan, cook the meatballs in batches until they finish, or save some to freeze