Homemade Eel Sauce (Unagi Sauce) ウナギのたれ
Hello everyone! today I am going to share a very tasty and flavorful Homemade Eel Sauce (Unagi Sauce) ウナギのたれ Recipe With you. In this recipe, I am using only 4 ingredients. Soy sauce, sugar, mirin, and sake & and it takes about 20 minutes to make. Let’s cook!
Don’t let the name stop you from making this goldern brown sauce! It’s not just for unagi eel, but a multitude of BBQ dishes. The richness and caramelized flavor can transform any bland dish. It’s seriously good on smoked ribs, grilled fish, grilled tofu, grilled mushrooms, and grilled rice ball (Yaki Onigiri).
How To Make Homemade Eel Sauce (Unagi Sauce) ウナギのたれ Recipe With Step By Step Instructions:
Unagi sauce is made by simmering 4 simple ingredients to a sugary, salty reduction that’s perfect atop your favorite dish. Traditionally, it is commonly used on grilled eel or different dishes that feature grilled eel such as unagi don (Unadon/Unaju) or unagi sushi.
- Mirin ( 200 ml)
- Soy Sauce ( 200 ml)
- Sugar ( 7 tbsp)
- Sake ( 5 tbsp)
- Put all the ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Quickly turn the heat down to low (the sauce should still be bubbling) and cook for 15-20 minutes, until desired consistency – the longer you cook the sauce, the thicker it will get.
- Also, keep in mind that it will continue to thicken as it cools down. I personally stop cooking it at around 17 minutes.
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate it.
- Drizzle a little over sushi, serve with eel or grilled meat or chicken.
I also use this sauce over freshly cooked noodles for a quick snack. A half-cup of dashi may be added to create a richer, more authentic flavor. All you need is a light brush or a drizzle of this sweet-savory sauce to heighten the flavor of the dish. In addition, you can use the eel sauce as a marinade for meats or as a dressing for freshly cooked noodles.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 68
- Sugar: 11.7g
- Sodium: 442.7mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.5g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg