Step by step instructions and pictures showing you how to make delicious yet Easy Curry Chicken Recipe (Pakistani Style). The secret is adding the curry powder to the chicken way before cooking it.
This curry chicken recipe can easily be altered by simply adding a cinnamon stick, star anise and 2 pods of cardamom whilst sauteing the onions. Blending cashew nut into the coconut milk with a blender makes a thicker even tastier gravy.
Easy Curry Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 500grams chicken boneless
- one medium size onion
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) piece of fresh ginger
- 2 to 5 tablespoons of Baba’s meat curry powder: it’s an ideal curry mixture, easily available at online Malaysian shops
- 2 to 3 potatoes
- butter or ghee or cooking oil
- coconut milk (at least 2 cups or half a liter made from coconut cream powder)
- salt to taste (1 teaspoon)
How to make Easy Curry Chicken Recipe (Pakistani Style) Step by Step Instructions:
- Cut the chicken in small pieces of equal size, so each chicken piece won’t take too long to cook and all pieces will be evenly cooked.
- Add 2 to 5 tablespoons of curry to the chicken and rub it over the pieces. Let rest at least 15 minutes so the curry flavor can permeate into the flesh. The longer you let the chicken in the curry, the better.
- Meanwhile, cut the onion in half and cut each half in slices.
- Cut the ginger as fine as you can (picture is still not very fine, but it works, just be prepared to chew on a ginger piece when you cut this size).
- Peel the 2 potatoes and half lengthwise and halve again. (smaller pieces also work fine, especially if your cooking time will be about 15 minutes).
- Put some butter or ghee in a pot on a low fire and saute the onion and the ginger for a few minutes.
- When the aroma is filling your kitchen, add the chicken pieces and the potato pieces. Fry the chicken pieces for at least 4 minutes, making sure to stir from time to time so all sides of the meat get browned.
- Take a packet of (Chao Thai) coconut cream powder and add it to some water to make coconut milk. Of course, freshly squeezed coconut milk from grinded coconut is even tastier. Use what is easy to find.
- Pour the coconut milk over the chicken pieces so that they are almost covered: the less liquid, the thicker the gravy. Scrape with a wooden spatula anything that sticks to the bottom of the pan back into the liquid.
- Add salt to taste (1 teaspoon), bring to a boil and let simmer until the meat is cooked (20 minutes, when the meat starts coming off the bone) and the potatoes are tender.
- Have a look after 15 minutes: if the gravy is too thin, take the lid off the pot and simmer further. Taste and adjust saltiness (or add soy sauce to taste)
- Meanwhile, you have just enough time to cook your rice.