Perfect Jeera Rice (Indian Cumin Rice) Recipe, also known as cumin rice is long grain basmati rice. It is flavored with simple cumin seeds and salt, coated with ghee, and garnished with fresh cilantro. Rice prepared with some whole spices and cumin seed flavor can be prepared very instantly and easily. You can serve it with dal, sabzi, or any curry or serve it along with pickle
Jeera rice, also known as cumin rice by non-natives, is a popular and flavored Indian rice dish prepared by cooking basmati rice, cumin seeds, ghee, and other fragrant whole spices.
You would always find it on the menu of any Indian restaurant. It is one of the most ordered items on the menu. I Make jeera rice every other day since it is easy to deal with my fussy kids. They love this with almost any curry, dal, and even raita. Sometimes they also carry it to school with some veggies.
How To Make Perfect Jeera Rice (Indian Cumin Rice) Recipe With Step By Step Instructions:
- Long Grain Basmati Rice (1 cup)
- Water (2 cups)
- Ghee (1 tbsp)
- Bay leaf (1 leaf)
- Cinnamon Stick (1-inch)
- Cloves (4 to 5 )
- Jeera (1 tsp), cumin seeds
- Green Chili (1 chili)
- Salt to taste or (1/2 tsp)
- Coriander leaves (2 tbsp), for garnish on the topping)
- Wash the basmati rice a few times, and then soak it in enough water so that the rice is completely soaked and has an inch of extra water on top. Soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to cook, drain all the water from the rice and set the rice aside.
- Heat ghee in a pot and add the whole spices and cumin seeds to it. Once the cumin seeds start spluttering, add the chopped green chili and drained rice to it.
- Toast the rice in the pan for two minutes on a medium flame. This helps add more flavor to the rice and prevents it from sticking and becoming gluggy
- Add two cups of water and salt to the rice and mix well. Bring the rice to a quick boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for approximately six minutes, till all the water, has evaporated and the rice is cooked through.
- Turn off the flame and let the rice rest for 5 more minutes. Top with chopped coriander and serve hot.