Olivier salad is a traditional Creamy Russian Potato Salad Recipe (Olivier Salad) made with finely diced potatoes, carrots, pickles, boiled eggs, sweet peas, onions, and bologna or ham, all tossed with a simple dressing of mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Typically, you’ll find it served at family gatherings or on holidays.
If you grew up in a Slavic home, you likely have memories of eating a big bowl of it on Christmas. Below, find an overview of the flavor, texture, and cooking time.
Making Russian-style potato salad only requires a bit of boiling, chopping, and mixing. Below, find a quick overview of the recipe before you dive in.
How To Make Creamy Russian Potato Salad Recipe (Olivier Salad) With Step By Step Instructions:
- Potatoes (1 Ib)
- Large Eggs (5 eggs)
- Chopped Dill pickle (1 & 1/2 cup)
- Chopped Carrot (1 cup )
- Peas (1 & 1/2 cup)
- Salami Chopped (2/3 cup)
- Mayonaise (1 cup)
- Dijon Mustard (1 tsp)
- Vinegar (1 tsp), is optional
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Firstly, take a large pot and boil potatoes, peel and chop into small cubes.
- When potatoes are boiled then strain the potatoes and in the same water you can also boil the peas and carrots until they become soft.
- In another pot, take water and boil the eggs then peel and chopped into small cubes.
- When the carrot gets soft then cut it into small cubes.
- I like to leave them on the crunchier side, not too soft.
- Chop pickles and meat.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Serve or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.