Pesto Alla Siciliana Recipe (Italian Sauce)
Pesto Alla Siciliana Recipe (Italian Sauce) leaves out the red peppers and the eggplant, giving greater emphasis to the tomato and ricotta while keeping the pine nuts common to the Genovese version. The Sicilian city of Trapani yields yet another version, pesto Alla Trapanese, with tomatoes, almonds, and pecorino cheese.
I’m sure once you try this Sicilian pesto, you’ll be adding it to your list of favorite summer pasta recipes. It’s so light, fresh, and easy to make. If you make this recipe I’d love to hear how it turns out and if you liked it.
Over time, a number of Sicilian pesto recipes developed. Among the most well-known are pistachio pesto and pesto Trapanese (from Trapani). Some people say pesto Trapanese and pesto Alla Siciliana are the same. But I don’t think so. Neither does my Sicilian hubby!
How To Make Pesto Alla Siciliana Recipe (Italian Sauce) WIth Step By Step Instructions:
- Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese (1/3 cup)
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (1/4 cup)
- Fresh Basil Leaves (1 & 1/2 ounces) stems removed
- Pine Nuts ( 3 tbsp)
- Garlic ( 1 clove) minced
- Cherry Tomatoes ( 2cups) seeded and diced
- Ricotta Cheese (1/2 cup)
- Salt to taste
- Ground Black Pepper to tastes
- Start by carefully washing the tomatoes and dividing them in half.
- Once divided, remove the inner part and squeeze them to eliminate the seeds and excess juice
- Then wash the basil leaves under running water
- After having drained them, dry them with a cloth
- At this point, pour the tomatoes into a mixer
- add the washed and dried basil leaves and pine nuts
- Peel a clove of garlic, divide it in half and add it to the mixture
- Together with grated Ricotta, Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese, salt, and pepper to taste
- After adding all the ingredients, pour in the oil
- operate the mixer at low speed to check the desired level of creaminess.
- When the pesto has reached the right consistency, check if it still needs salt and pepper.
- Now your Pesto Alla Siciliana Recipe is ready. enjoy your pasta with this creamy sauce.