Turkish Stuffed Eggplant, also known as Karniyarik, Turkish Stuffed Eggplant Recipe is one of the most iconic (and delicious!) Turkish eggplant recipes out there. Tender, roasted eggplant brims with a hearty ground beef filling, and every bite are packed with garlicky tomato flavor.
With gorgeous reds, deep purples, and garden-fresh greens, this Karniyarik recipe will look picture-perfect on your dinner table. Karniyarik is one of the most popular eggplant recipes in Turkish cuisine.
Just like Turkish eggplant kebab with meatballs, it is one of our go-to summer dishes. If you like a vegan/vegetarian version, check out our imam bayildi recipe! And if you love the flavor of roasted eggplants, check out our eggplant salad and no tahini baba ganoush too!
How To Make Karniyarik – Turkish Stuffed Eggplant Recipe With Step By Step Instructions:
- Italian Eggplants (6 eggplants)
- Vegetable Oil (1/4 cup)
- Olive Oil (2 tbsp)
- Onion (2 medium-sizes), chopped
- Garlic (5 cloves), minced
- Ground Beef (8 oz)
- Green Pepper (1 ), diced
- Tomato (1 large), Diced
- Tomato Paste (1 tbsp)
- Salt (1/2 tsp)
- Black Pepper (1/4 tsp)
Ingredients Of Tomato Sauce:
- Tomato Paste (4 tbsp)
- Boiling Water (1 cup)
- Prepare the eggplants by peeling strips on their skin.
- Keep the top on. Cut a slit in each eggplant without going all the way through.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water.
- Stir and place the eggplants in the saltwater.
- Soak them for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat and saute onion until translucent.
- Add in minced garlic and cook until golden brown. now, add in ground beef and brown it completely.
- Add diced green pepper and tomato to the ground beef mixture and cook for a few minutes. Also, add tomato paste, salt, and pepper to the filling and mix well.
- Discard the saltwater and gently squeeze the eggplants.
- Dry them using a paper towel.
- Heat ¼ cup vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the eggplants on all sides until they’re soft and brown.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Place the fried eggplants in a baking dish and stuff them with the ground beef mixture.
- Make the sauce by mixing the tomato paste in water and spooning it over the eggplants and into the dish. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the eggplants are completely cooked and soft.
- Serve warm with white rice and cacik.